Monday, December 19, 2011

Evolution of Sound: The amen break

 (Photo cred to DJArtworks)
I love Drum and Bass music. It speaks to my soul, my mind, my body. I find beauty and brilliance in electronic music. A producer’s creativity to explore different sounds, sample them and compose something out of nothing amazes me. A particular example of this, the first example of this, the most influential example of this is the Amen break.
In the beginning (1969) there was a sample.  The Winstons’  “Amen, Brother” had a 5.2 second rolling drum beat that spawned the creation of countless genres of music. From Rock to Hip Hop to Breakbeat to Acid House to Jungle/Drum and Bass, they’ve all sliced, diced, rearranged and made this sample their own.
Whenever I think of the Amen break sound, I always associate it with Jungle music. At the very best I knew the sample was extremely popular with the Hip Hop genre as well. But there are some genres I didn’t even consider it had an influence on. It seems as though it’s had its influence in every genre under the sun and this fascinates me…it’s really interesting to think about the evolution of sound. It really is a system of building blocks that progresses (or digresses in some people’s opinions) and morphs into different genres.
Surprising (and not so surprising) songs containing the Amen break: 
When I first started listening to jungle music, I set out to discover as much information I could about the genre. While rummaging through the DOA forums, I stumbled upon an article that commented on the pattern of the Amen break. It pointed out that the break had an eerily similar pattern to the Golden Ratio. This could be an explanation on why this sample is liked by so many. Or maybe it’s just a coincidence? All I know is that pop culture wouldn’t be the same without that 5.2 second loop.
**This blog post was inspired by a very interesting video I found on youtube entitled: Video explains the world’s most important 6-sec drum loop:



No comments:

Post a Comment