Thursday, December 15, 2011

Jungle Music: A New Vibe

A friend of mine, Adam, and I were having a chat the other day about the changes we've heard in drum and bass music lately. Adam's a huge fan of the classics. You know, the best days of High Contrast, LTJ Bukem, Roni Size...the generation of producers who took DnB out of the bass-heavy rave culture of the early '00s by sampling funky, soulful, musical sounds.

We talked about the fresh energy in the music that seems to be lighting up the scene recently. A re-energization is happening. We're not the only ones who've noticed. I've read and heard many interviews with DnB veterans who are saying the same thing. Classic sounds and new energy are bringing some amazing music of all flavours into the scene's limelight. It's not just the new guys either, veterans, breakthroughs and unknowns alike are bringing impressive sounds to the table. Notables, not to mention some of my favourite artists right now, include:

Grafix & Fred VHonestly, it seems like these two came out of nowhere! Until I realized that all the  had-to-have tracks on Netsky's essential mix were mostly FV & G tunes...no wonder they're blowing up! 

Wilkinson: I mean who doesn't like his tunes? He produces so many different flavours, there's something for everyone. I first heard this tune in 2010 on the Sick Music LP. It was one of the stand out tunes. I love the way he can pull samples into his tunes so seamlessly, that's real DnB right there. Wilkinson will likely establish himself as a veteran for this generation of bass heads. 


S.P.Y: Wow. WOW...wow... What a talented guy. Honestly, there are no words. Just listen...

Schematic: I'm planning on doing a post on Toronto drum and bass soon enough, but I wanted to introduce you to Schematic - if you didn't already know who he is. He's one talented mo-fo and he's had his tracks signed here and there. The latest one, Free Me was just picked up on Blu Saphir. There's no YouTube link to that one so here's one of my faves by him: 

There's so much more I want to share! There probably wouldn't even be enough room for it all, and you probably wouldn't have enough time to listen to it. That's why I started this blog...so I can give you a weekly dose of everything you can't miss! In the meantime, you gotta check out Lynx, Phace and Misanthrop & Harvest for some tasty dark flavours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment